Gingivitis is an inflammation of the gums caused by an accumulation of plaque and tartar.
- Bad breath
- Bleeding gums after brushing teeth
- Red, inflamed gums that are sensitive to the touch
- Deficient immune system that can result from a malfunctioning thyroid gland, diabetes, pregnancy or leukemia
- Hereditary factors
- Bad habits, such as biting your nails, clenching or grinding your teeth, smoking, consuming too much sugar or eating poorly.
- Taking certain medications, including hormonal contraceptives and drugs